Thursday, March 24, 2005

Week 4 Class and Reading Reflection

Week four’s reading, Conclusions in Miller and Slater’s book – The Internet: An Ethnographic approach, discussed in detail the ethnographic research of Internet use in Trinidad. I’m not sure if I’m meant to say this…I don’t know about anybody else but I found this reading rather dense and not very enjoyable to read. Perhaps I was just tired? The reading raised issues surrounding the dynamics of objectification, mediation, normative freedom and positioning, which was basically different perspectives on how Trinidadian people engage with the Internet. The reading reinforced the concept introduced in the lecture that “the Internet is not a monolithic or placeless ‘cyberspace’; rather, it is numerous new technologies, used by diverse people, in diverse real-world locations”. The other reading, Interpreting and Comparing Perspectives in the Audience Community by Nancy Baym, was an example ethnography of soap opera audience practices within an online forum/mailing list called r.a.t.s. As John said in the lecture to get a sense of how to write an ethnography it is best to read them. It was pretty interesting; I didn’t realize people took their soaps so seriously. I admit I’m obsessed with The OC and Desperate Housewives and even regularly watch Neighbours and The Bold and the Beautiful (shame) but I don’t think I’m that engrossed that I would frequently participate in a newsgroup about them…or would I? Hehe, just jokes. Finally, the other reading, Anthropology as ‘Brand’: Reflections on Corporate Anthropology by Lucy Suchman, discussed anthropology becoming a commodity as it shifts from academic and public institutions into commercial, marketing and corporate public relations areas. It mentioned that anthropology is now playing a role both as brand and social science.

In the lab session we addressed the question: what are the ethical challenges of researching and facilitating virtual communities? I believe researchers of virtual communities have ethical obligations. Of course these change depending upon the topic/genre of the virtual community but it is something that researchers should be careful with. I don’t think it would be necessary to make the community aware that they were being observed/researched because it is only inevitable that this would change the way the individuals behaved and interacted. I think it is important for the researcher to use their discretion and be aware of the ethical issues involved with research, eg: not to use names, etc. If trust was seriously breached within a community it could permanently affect the way it continues to function. At the same time I think that people who participate in online virtual communities are naive to think that the people they interact with are completely honest and honorable people. The Internet harbors fraudulent and deceitful people and users utilize the Internet at their own risk. This doesn’t mean that researchers should throw out all ethical standards rather it means that virtual participants should be wary of EVERYONE when dealing with personal or emotional matters online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home