Thursday, March 17, 2005

MUDs, Virtual Communities and Blogs ???

Originally MUDs, virtual communities and blogs had me confused. When I first heard that I would be keeping a blog in KCB295 for some reason I kept thinking about these ‘things’ I had read about called MUDs (then not remembering the name) and I thought my blog was going to be like the MUDs I had read about. So when I first started this blog I thought…hang on, this isn’t the kind of thing I read about all those months ago. So when I was reading Castells chapter this week I came across MUDs again and it said, “MUDs are the privileged domain for role-playing and fake identities…Most MUD players are teenagers or college students, enacting on-line much of the typical role-playing behaviours of the period of their life when they often experiment with their personality”. So this refreshed my memory and I realised that it was MUDs I had read about not blogs. AND THEN…I got thinking about my virtual community Cybertown (discussed in previous post) and realised that it is very much like a MUD. SO…Cybertown is similar to a MUD and is also a virtual community while this is a blog; a blog is a blog and not a virtual community or a MUD. Hehe. You are probably confused but I no longer am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home