Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Weeks 1 and 2 Lecture Reflection

Virtual Culture’s week one lecture was an introduction to the role of the Internet, computer mediated communication (CMC) and virtual communities. What I learnt most from the lecture related to first, second and third generation approaches to the Internet. Each approach highlighted the diversity of the Internet in terms of its use and effects over time. The discussed material relating to the Internet is relevant to the development currently occurring in terms of new media, DIY culture and virtual communities. I agree with the lecturer’s emphasis upon the notion that the Internet is not just about computers and technology but more importantly about networks of people and that the Internet is a form of communication that has facilitated the construction and maintenance of virtual communities. As a thought on the side; I think the application of the ‘imagined communities’ concept to ‘virtual communities’ provides for an interesting, perhaps perplexing, relationship.

The week two lecture was an introduction to blogs, blogs and more blogs! From this lecture I learnt what blogs are all about (admittedly I did not totally grasp the concept until I actually started this one of my own). I discovered the statistics in relation to blogs and was really surprised by their prevalence because I had never heard of blogs before. I realised that blogs come in all shapes and sizes, genres and purposes. In the beginning I thought that perhaps blogs were only a personal or recreational craze but it was interesting to learn that they are used for research as well as by large corporations. Blogs are currently very relevant because they are so popular as well as powerful. As Rebecca Blood states in The Weblog Handbook, “I strongly believe in the power of weblogs to transform both writers and readers from ‘audience’ to ‘public’ and from ‘consumer’ to ‘creator’”. This is very relevant to the rising notion of everyday people gaining the ability to create and develop DIY culture. This was touched on by the lecturer using a term and concept I really like, ‘technological democracy’, which means ordinary people have the ability to be creative producers rather than just a creative consumer. (I think this is discussed by Andrew Sullivan)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home